Area groups receive Cultural Heritage Grants
BISMARCK – The State Historical Society of North Dakota has awarded $400,000 in Cultural Heritage Grants to distribute for the current biennium to 22 eligible organizations throughout the state.
Cultural Heritage Grants provide grant funding to nonprofit organizations, including local museums, historical societies, and city, county and tribal governments. Eligible projects include capital improvements, exhibits, special projects or events, education activities and collections.
“These grants provide a rare funding source and important sparkplugs that energize our county and local museums and other organizations to preserve, document and present North Dakota’s heritage in their communities,” said Claudia Berg, director of the State Historical Society of North Dakota North Dakota, Bismarck. “Legislative support is very much appreciated as we continue to support these community efforts statewide.”
Grants awarded in the area include:
– Friends of the Queen of Peace Cemetery in rural McLean County received $7,500 for the restoration of name plates at the cemetery.
– Geographical Center Historical Society in Rugby received $14,137 for the Prairie Village Museum: Restoration of Old Main.
– Ingersoll Veeder Cemetery Association near Washburn received $4,976 to re-roof the National Register-listed Ingersoll School.
– James Memorial Art Center in Williston received $30,000 for rehabilitation of historic windows on the National Register-listed James Memorial Library building.
– Manfred History and Preservation received $1,459 for a school history exhibit in the National Register-listed Manfred School.
– McHenry County Historical Society in Towner received $30,000 for rehabilitation of the 1906 City Hall, future home of the McHenry County Western Museum.
– Tioga Historical Society received $20,300 for the installation of new display cases to house exhibits.
– Touchstones, Inc. in Bottineau received $28,491 to complete the exterior rehabilitation of the Stone Bank located on Main Street.
– Ward County Historical Society in Burlington received $2,330 for exhibit development and panel production on coal mining, brick production and the first Ward County Courthouse and the history of Burlington.