Final EIS completed for US Highway 85 project
BISMARCK — The North Dakota Department of Transportation together with the Federal Highway Administration announced on Wednesday the completion of the Final Environmental Impact Statement for the U.S. Highway 85 project.
The project includes replacing and constructing a four-lane Long X Bridge about 16 miles south of Watford City and four-laning 62 miles of U.S. Highway 85 from the Interstate 94 interchange to the Watford City Bypass (McKenzie County Road 30), according to a NDDOT news release.
NDDOT, along with consulting partner KLJ Engineering, and FHWA worked as the lead agencies for three and a half years with the National Park Service, U.S. Forest Service, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, along with 17 participating stakeholder groups to complete the first phase in development of this project.
The environmental impact process included extensive public outreach, encompassing three rounds of public meetings and the consideration of numerous public and stakeholder comments.
The completion of the final EIS is a significant milestone in the development of the project. The next phase is the construction of the Long X Bridge, which is scheduled to be bid this spring. Construction on the remainder of the U.S. 85 project has not been determined and funding has not been identified.
The final EIS has been prepared to evaluate the alternatives and potential impacts from the expansion of U.S. Highway 85 from the Interstate 94 interchange to the Watford City Bypass (McKenzie County Road 30). A notice of availability and notice of limitation on claims will be published in the Federal Register.
The final EIS is available for public review at locations including:
– NDDOT US 85 Project Website: http://www.dot.nd.gov/projects/williston/US85I94/
– McKenzie County Courthouse, 201 5th Street Northwest, Watford City, 444-3616
– McKenzie County Public Library, 112 2nd Avenue Northeast, Watford City, 444-3785
– North Dakota State Library, 604 East Boulevard Avenue, Bismarck, 328-4622
– NDDOT Williston District Office, 605 Dakota Parkway West, Williston, 774-2700
– Watford City City Hall, 213 2nd Street Northeast, Watford City, 444-2533