×

Chambers’s preliminary hearing to be rescheduled

Joshua Chambers

The preliminary hearing for Joshua Chambers, 18, Minot, will be rescheduled after his court-appointed counsel filed a motion to withdraw. Chambers has been charged with 13 felonies, four misdemeanors and an infraction in relation to a police pursuit on Feb. 25 when he allegedly fled from McLean County sheriff’s deputies in a stolen vehicle before crashing into multiple police vehicles in downtown Minot.

At his preliminary hearing in district court in Minot on Wednesday before Judge Richard Hagar, Attorney Thomas John Burckhard pumped the brakes on the proceedings, referring the court to a filing from March 20 requesting to withdraw from the case.

“Your honor I don’t think at this time its right to hold a preliminary hearing. There’s a standing motion to withdraw to which the state did not object. I have a conflict and I don’t think it’s right for me represent the defendant,” Burckhard said.

Ward County States Attorney Roza Larson acknowledged that the state was aware of Burckhard’s motion to withdraw, saying that a response had been filed, along with motions to amend the information for the case, but that no new charges would be coming. Larson raised no other objections to Burckhard’s withdrawal.

“It is my understanding that motion Mr. Burckhard filed only became ripe as of today, so I guess that’s the reason for the misunderstanding there,” Hagar said, “We’re going to get this rescheduled as soon as we can. That will depend on when your next attorney is appointed, and we will try to get that done as soon as possible.”

Starting at $2.99/week.

Subscribe Today