Charges elevated to attempted murder
A Minot man already facing three felony charges after a domestic violence incident has now been charged with attempted murder by Ward County prosecutors.
Scott Andrew Flood, 34, Minot, previously made his initial appearance for the initial charges of burglary-threatens serious injury or inflicts injury, a Class B felony, and domestic violence-serious bodily injury and interference with emergency call-intentional, both Class C felonies.
Appearing in North Central District Court Wednesday, Flood was notified by Judge Douglas Mattson that Ward County State’s Attorney Rozanna Larson had reviewed the case and added the fourth charge of attempted murder, a Class A felony that carries a maximum penalty of 20 years in prison and up to $20,000 in fines.
Kristin Guerton with the Minot Police Department said in an affidavit that the decision to elevate the charges against Flood came after a review of the case and discussion with Larson. According to court documents, Flood is accused of entering the victim’s home through a back door and strangling her to the point of unconsciousness. Also according to court documents, the victim told investigators she was sure Flood had been the attacker and that he didn’t live at the residence or have a reason to be there.
Mattson ruled that the prior bond of $200,000 cash or corporate surety remain in place, along with all previously ordered conditions, which includes a no-contact order and distance provision of 150 feet from the victim’s residence. Flood has not posted bond and is being held in the Ward County Jail.
Flood has a prior conviction from 2018 for aggravated assault, a Class C felony, after he was accused of assaulting and raping a sex worker at a Minot hotel. Flood had pleaded guilty after a Class AA felony gross sexual imposition charge was dismissed due to a witness choosing not to testify at trial. This case has been reopened in light of the new charges.
Flood’s preliminary hearing on all four charges is scheduled to occur on Dec. 21.