Local man charged with negligent homicide for 2022 crash

Scott Ramon Parizek, 33, Ruthville, made his initial appearance in district court on Tuesday after being charged in connection with the death of Kyra Derouin, 28, who passed away on Aug. 19, 2022, after being injured in a motor vehicle accident.

Parizek has been charged with Class C felony negligent homicide and a Class A misdemeanor for providing false Information to law enforcement. According to a statement released by Ward County Sheriff Robert Roed, Parizek’s arrest comes after months of investigation into the crash that occurred on Aug. 8, 2022, in northeast Ward County, that allegedly caused Derouin’s fatal injuries.

According to the affidavit filed with the court, Parizek arrived at a north Minot residence in his vehicle after 10 p.m. on the evening of Aug. 8 with Derouin as his passenger. According to the occupants of the residence, they both saw Derouin had sustained injuries and was not speaking. Parizek gave the occupants conflicting explanations for the injuries but was told not to bring her inside and to take her to the hospital.

Parizek transported Derouin to the Trinity Hospital Emergency Room but allegedly began downplaying Derouin’s injuries after being told by Trinity ER staff that they were required to report any injury from a motor vehicle accident to law enforcement. A Trinity staffer told investigators that Parizek told them that Derouin’s injuries were not “that bad” and claimed he was “EMT certified.”

Investigators say that after viewing security video footage from that evening it was determined that Derouin appeared limp and unconscious while in Parizek’s vehicle, and that Parizek had to hold her upright. Parizek told staff he would be monitoring her condition on his own and return if needed, leaving with Derouin without her receiving any medical care.

Parizek then returned with Derouin to the north Minot residence and was eventually allowed to bring her inside after saying that the hospital would not accept her for treatment. One of the individuals told investigators that they began to believe that Parizek was lying to them. Several hours later a third individual entered the residence and demanded that they take Derouin to the hospital after observing her condition deteriorating.

Derouin was then taken again to the Trinity ER. Parizek left in his vehicle as Trinity staff began treating Derouin’s injuries and contacted law enforcement. The Minot Police and other law enforcement agencies began their investigation into the accident and sought to question Parizek.

Parizek was arrested on Aug. 11 and questioned by an investigator from the Bureau of Criminal Investigation. According to the affidavit, Parizek told the investigator he and Derouin had been drinking on the day of the incident and that she had been driving a dirt bike while he followed in his vehicle. Parizek claimed that Derouin had been conscious enough to communicate with him her desire not to be treated at the hospital and that Trinity ER staff had told him he could just take her home to lay down and observe her.

Investigators say that Parizek’s narrative was inconsistent with other witness statements, the ER security footage of Derouin’s condition and contained other discrepancies about the exact circumstances of the accident. Derouin was treated extensively for head and brain injuries sustained in the crash before succumbing to them on Aug. 19. The neurosurgeon who operated on Derouin was cited in the affidavit, determining that the main factor causing her death was the amount of time that elapsed between the injury and her receiving treatment.

Parizek made his initial appearance before district court Judge Todd Cresap via ITV, telling the court he would be seeking court-appointed representation and a quick and speedy trial. Assistant State’s Attorney Tiffany Sorgen requested a bond amount of $50,000 cash or corporate surety, highlighting Parizek’s extensive history of fleeing law enforcement and failing to appear.

“Mr. Parizek has a long history with law enforcement, including a failure to appear just a month ago on February 1. I counted three additional failures to appear in recent history, disobedience of judicial orders, refusals to halt and other serious issues and potential violations of orders preventing contact,” Sorgen said, “The State has grave concerns about him being here for his next court appearances, and the fact this is a serious crime, which is undermined by the fact that it is only a C felony, but a young woman did die as a result of Mr. Parizek’s actions.”

Parizek responded saying that he did bring Derouin to the hospital, that he did nothing wrong and that he didn’t understand why he was in jail.

“I’m not a threat. I’m not going to leave; I’m not going to run away. I don’t see why I should be made a burden on the community when I haven’t been for the last nine months,” Parizek said.

Cresap ultimately granted the State’s request for a bond of $50,000. Parizek’s preliminary hearing is scheduled for April 27, and a pretrial hearing is currently scheduled for July 5.


Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)
Are you a paying subscriber to the newspaper? *

Starting at $4.62/week.

Subscribe Today