Jonathan Geers, Minot, charged with burglary, terrorizing, reckless endangerment

Jonathan Bailey Geers, 22, Minot, is accused of breaking into a northwest Minot residence while armed with a gun on Saturday, physically assaulting a man, terrorizing a man and a woman there, and firing a gun inside the residence.

Geers, an enlisted member of the Air Force, is charged in district court in Minot with Class B felony burglary, two counts of Class C felony terrorizing, and one count of Class C felony reckless endangerment,

Judge Doug Mattson set bond at $50,000 cash, with a requirement that Geers post 10 percent of that, required that Geers have no contact with the two victims, that he not consume alcohol, that he continue with counseling, and that he stay confined to Minot Air Force Base. Geers will also not be allowed to possess a firearm as one of his bond conditions. A preliminary hearing in the case is scheduled for Aug. 29.

According to the probable cause affidavit filed with the court and testimony at the initial appearance on Monday, there was a no contact order forbidding Geers from having contact with the victim. At around 2 a.m. on Saturday, Geers went over to the man’s residence, knocked on the door, called verbal insults and told the man to answer the door. The man did not answer because of the no contact order through the Air Force.

Geers then came back, broke into the residence and began beating up the other man who was lying on a bed. The woman, who had been at the house, told police that she tried to break up the fight by pushing Geers away. The woman spotted the gun in the small of Geers’ back, grabbed the gun and put it on a dresser. The male victim pulled out his own gun as a self defense measure, but did not fire it or use it. The male alleged victim then picked up Geers’ guns and began taking rounds out of it. The man told Geers to leave. Geers was making threats to kill the other man.

Geers then began asking where his dog was and refused to leave the residence without his dog. The woman told police that there is an agreement in place and she was not going to let Geers take the dog. The other man called police when Geers would not leave.

Geers got the gun back from the alleged male victim and pointed it at the other man, the woman, and at one point put the gun to his own head and threatened to kill himself. Geers locked himself in the bedroom. He later came out and fired a shot that went right by the other man’s head. The woman told police that she believed Geers could have fired off three shots in all.

The woman told police that she feared for her life.

When police arrived, the alleged male victim was standing in the yard with his hands up and had blood running down his lips. Geers was standing in the living room and was holding a gun to his head. The woman was crying in the background. There was a bullet hole in the ceiling and a bullet casing on the living room floor.

According to the affidavit filed by Officer Memorie Andrade, there was a bullet hole in the living room ceiling and a bullet casing on the floor of the living room.


Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)