More info on weekend shootings in Minot

Two shootings in Minot over the weekend reportedly originated with allegations of domestic violence, according to a probable cause affidavit filed with the court.

The affidavits provide more detail about the incidents that resulted in an attempted murder charge for Timothy Devon Lewis, 28, who is accused of trying to kill his ex-girlfriend and of terrorizing and putting multiple other people in danger.

Lewis is charged in district court in Minot with Class A felony attempted murder. He is also charged with eight counts of reckless endangerment and eight counts of terrorizing, all Class C felonies.

Lewis is being held at the Ward County Jail.

According to the probable cause affidavit filed with the court, Lewis had recently broken up with his girlfriend. The woman told police that Lewis had struck her in the past and had been ordered to complete anger management classes. Lewis has a prior conviction in Minot Municipal Court for Class B misdemeanor simple assault- domestic violence, dating back to March 2017.

During the past few week, according to the affidavit, Lewis had allegedly showed up near his ex-girlfriend’s job or at the home of one of her relatives, asking where his ex-girlfriend was. The ex-girlfriend told police that Lewis had texted and called her constantly on Saturday and early Sunday and some of the messages had turned threatening.

The woman and her current boyfriend had been at a friend’s apartment at Terrace Drive on Saturday night and the group was preparing to leave the apartment to go to a local bar. The woman told police that she saw a red light on herself and the others. At first she dismissed it, but she realized the light was coming from what she believed to be a gun when she heard shots. The woman then fell to the ground. No one was injured.

Her current boyfriend then fired a gun back toward the shooter and the man’s black SUV. The woman told police, “He was saving me.”

Police identified the man who returned fire as Anthony Lee Davis, 26, of Minot.

The group was going to go back into the apartment at Terrace Drive, but Lewis’s ex-girlfriend told police that her friend ordered everyone to leave because her children were at the apartment.

Lewis’s ex-girlfriend then left and was looking for somewhere to go. Her relative then contacted her and told her police wanted to speak with her. The woman then went to her relative’s home in northwest Minot. That residence had also been the site of a shooting. The male resident of the home had been in the living room with his daughter when the shots were fired. Three other children and a woman were also in the residence at the time. The home and the man’s car were both damaged by bullets but no one in the residence was injured.

According to police, the initial report of gunshots in the 1500 block of Terrace Drive came in at 11:32 p.m. Saturday and the report of the second shooting in the 2200 block of Landmark Circle came in at 12:15 a.m. Sunday.

Lewis came to the police department at 3 p.m. Sunday and denied that he had anything to do with the shooting, according to the affidavit. He told police he had let a friend take his vehicle on Saturday night and he was home sleeping the entire time.

Lewis was arrested on the various charges and then taken to jail.

Davis was arrested after police received a report at 1:11 a.m. Sunday that he had pulled a gun on a resident in an apartment building in the 1500 block of 12th Street NW.

According to the probable cause affidavit in his case, Davis had a semi-automatic pistol that had one round in the chamber and no rounds in the magazine of the pistol.

The alleged victim told police that he had been gathering belongings from the apartment building. Davis, who had been involved in the earlier gunfire incident, showed back up, pushed open the door with his foot and pointed the gun at the alleged victim. The man put his hands up and told Davis why he was there. The alleged victim then called police and told them that Davis was back at the apartment building. Police responded and placed Davis under arrest. Davis initially told police his name was James Tyler and that he wasn’t the guy they were looking for. Davis told police they should be looking for Lewis. Officers then thought he might be Davis and looked up an old booking photo that resembled Davis. Davis then admitted his identity. Davis also had baggie containing ecstasy pills on his person.

According to the affidavit in the Lewis case, the man who returned fire told police that he was protecting himself and Lewis was trying to kill them.

Davis has been charged with terrorizing, a Class C felony, possession of ecstasy while in possession of a firearm, a Class B felony, prohibited possession of a firearm by a felon, a Class B felony, and providing false information to law enforcement, a Class A misdemeanor.

Davis also made an initial appearance in court on Monday on unrelated charges dating back to Sept. 1. They include escape, a Class C felony, possession of a Schedule IV depressant, a second offense, a Class C felony; possession of a firearm by a felon, a Class C felony, possession of cocaine, a second offense, a Class C felony; and Class A misdemeanor possession of a controlled substance.

The state has also filed to revoke Davis’s probation on a Class C felony theft of property charge dating back to 2016.

Davis also has a prior conviction for Class A felony possession of a controlled substance with intent to deliver and Class C felony possession of a firearm by a felon, both in 2016.

Preliminary hearings for both Lewis and Davis are scheduled for May 30.

COMMENTS