Pioneer Village holds grand opening festival
BURLINGTON — A windy Saturday opened up the Pioneer Village Festival at Burlington this past weekend. Patrons were unaffected by the elements as the buildings all provided interest and refuge. A pie-tasting contest and coffee in the Eureka School also kept visitors warm.
Food trucks, children’s activities, basket weaving and tractor displays were some of the other highlights of the festival. Dressing in harmony with the 1950s was encouraged. The event was free to the public.
All the buildings in the Pioneer Village are full of interest and intrigue
The Samuelson House is completely furnished and a time capsule representing the 1920s era in Minot. It has had several moves for an old house. The Samuelson Family purchased the home in 1921. John Samuelson started the Samuelson Shoe and Harness store, now Off The Vine, in downtown Minot.
Originally built and located where the Milton Young Towers is today, the house was moved and spent 40-plus years at the North Dakota State Fairgrounds.
The newest addition to Pioneer Village is a 100-year-old renovated schoolhouse that holds military history from local families around the area.
Pioneer Museum has been granted funding and will soon begin construction on a large multi-functioning storage building for classic cars, tractors and other museum treasures. There are other plans for the future.
Aug. 6-7 is the Annual Car and Tractor Show and Flea Market at Pioneer Village.
Pioneer Village is open Tuesday-Saturday 11 a.m.-5 p.m. For more information on volunteering or becoming a member contact Ward County Historical Society 839-0785.