×

Kudos to volunteers who helped woman exit fire

The Minot Daily News thanks volunteers from Meals on Wheels who helped an elderly resident in southwest Minot exit her home safely on Tuesday when there was a fire in her garage.

According to the City of Minot, the volunteers heard a smoke detector going off and saw smoke coming from the attached garage when they stopped by the residence at 2000 1st Aveue SW to deliver a meal. The volunteers helped the home’s resident safely get out of the house and called 911 at 11:46 a.m. One of the neighbors also saw the smoke and went into the house to make sure the resident got out safely.

The Minot Fire Department quickly put out the small fire in the garage, made sure no one else was in the house and cleared smoke from the structure. The door from the garage to the house had been left open and there was smoke damage to the residence and fire and smoke damage to the garage.

Because of the quick and brave actions of the volunteers and also because there was a working smoke detector in the house, the woman in the home got out safely and was not injured.

The Minot Fire Battalion Chief also reminded residents that it is a good idea to check smoke detectors to make sure they are in working order and will alert people to a fire.

Newsletter

Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)
   

Starting at $4.75/week.

Subscribe Today