×

Kyle Coffman, Minot, sentenced to probation, suspended jail time, for burglary, terrorizing, aggravated assault, reckless endangerment

Kyle Edward Coffman, 36, Tacoma, Wash., was given a suspended five year jail sentence and three years of supervised probation on Friday for assaulting a man on Sept. 30, 2017, who had been accused of sexually assaulting a member of his family.

Coffman went to the other man’s apartment with a firearm after he received a call from the woman about the alleged assault. The victim’s son answered the door and Coffman pointed the gun at him and demanded to know where the man’s father was. He forced the younger man to go into a bedroom. The victim’s grandchildren, a 13-year-old boy and an 11-year-old girl, were also present and their uncle told them to go into their bedroom and close the door. The victim heard noise, came to investigate, and saw Coffman standing in his apartment with the gun. The victim wrestled Coffman for control of the gun and Coffman struck him on the top of the head with the firearm. The gun went off during the struggle. The victim’s son came out of his room and was able to get the gun away from Coffman. He pointed the gun at Coffman, who fled the apartment.

Police believed the alleged sexual assault was a case of “he said, she said,” based on statements made by Coffman’s lawyer, Ashley Gulke, at prior court hearings. Coffman’s victim was never charged with any sexual assault and was never arrested. But after receiving the call, Coffman flew into North Dakota from out of state, where he had been working, to confront the woman’s alleged assailant. Coffman was also emotionally distraught at the time following the death of his teenage son. At one point, Gulke had been planning to use a temporary insanity defense for Coffman.

Coffman’s victim and the man’s son and grandchildren were also traumatized during the incident. The children’s mother spoke of the long-lasting effects of the crime at a previous hearing.

Coffman had been scheduled to go to trial Jan. 29 on the Class B felony burglary charge and three Class C felony charges of terrorizing, aggravated assault, and reckless endangerment when he decided to change his plea.

Under the terms of the plea deal, the state removed language from the charging document that would have required Coffman to serve a mandatory minimum sentence in prison and dismissed an escape charge that stemmed from Coffman’s past DUI offense. Coffman also agreed to pay restitution of $1,733.80 for the victim’s medical costs and $775 in court costs. Coffman was also ordered to stay away from the victim and to undergo a psychological evaluation.

Judge Richard Hagar sentenced him to five years in prison, all suspended, and three years of probation for each of the four charges, all to be served concurrently.

Hagar told Coffman he will have to make arrangements with his probation officer to be allowed to return to Washington state, where he lives and works.

“I’m sorry for all the trouble I caused,” Coffman said in court on Friday. “It wasn’t right. It was a terrible situation for everyone involved and I wish I could take it back.”

Starting at $2.99/week.

Subscribe Today