Fire at senior living facility forces residents to evacuate

FARGO (AP) — Authorities say a natural gas meter caught fire at a Fargo senior living facility and forced the evacuation of residents in 24 apartments.
No injuries were reported from the fire that broke out at Riverview Place shortly after 6 p.m. Friday. An employee who attempted to put out the blaze was taken to a hospital as a precaution.
Battalion Fire Chief Jason Ness says the fire spread to four units in one of the apartment buildings. Ness says firefighters had to shut off the gas before the fire could be extinguished. It took crews about 20 minutes to put out the fire.
Ness says firefighters were able to help residents out of the building relatively quickly. He says residents “did a really good job of self-evacuating.”