Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Customer Service | Contact Us | Routes Available | All Access E-Edition | Home RSS

The city of Minot requires permits for all forms of temporary housing. Is that fair to residents?

  1. Absolutely
  2. No
sort: oldest | newest




Jul-14-13 12:45 AM

To be fair to the residents of Minot, the City of Minot should be required to begin immediately to have the flooded houses that are unoccupied, abandoned or uninhabitable removed and the town restored to a livable place. No permits required, just get it done.

It's a disgrace for the town to look like it does after more than 2 years after the flood and millions in block grants for community improvements.



9 Agrees | 3 Disagrees | Report Abuse »


Jul-14-13 3:58 AM

even with the grants,etc, and annual property tax increases, we seem to have little more than higher taxes to show for all the money spent so far. it seems that most of the money collected only pays salaries and benefits. minot must lead the state in retired 50-60 yr old retired city employees.

5 Agrees | 2 Disagrees | Report Abuse »


Jul-14-13 7:44 AM

muleskinner, as a resident who lived and rebult, I totaly agree. Leters should be sent to all the owners of those homes who have had nothing done to them. The owners should be given till 1 Aug 13 to respond back. If no response homes taken down, and if home is owned by someone in town a Bill be sent to them for tear down price, and homeowners who respond back, and say they are going to rebuild be given 2 weeks to start. Its been over 2 Years and action needs to be taken. Just look at the home on 16th ST, weeds as high as the roof and nothing being done, its TIME to take action. Heck Minot has been given MILLIONS in CBGF funds to help with the flood, and NOT FOR PARKING LOTS, and a Fire Station on North Hill.

6 Agrees | 2 Disagrees | Report Abuse »


Jul-14-13 9:07 PM

I believe that for every abandoned home there is a different story. It isn't just a case of knocking down dominos. As far as the tall weeds go, there is a process. A complaint must be made, the inspector has to check it out, a letter must be sent to the owner, then, after I believe two weeks if there has been no response, the property is put on the city's 'to do' list. With over 180 lots already reported, that is quite a load. If the tall grass bugs you, you could do some community service and whack it down yourself.

2 Agrees | 1 Disagrees | Report Abuse »


Jul-14-13 10:48 PM

It's a permit to have temporary housing. That's not something hard to get. The permit is important for fire and rescue people. As far as the weeds and overgrown lots go...Round Up does wonders.You can't mow 6 foot tall weeds or use a weed eater. Call someone and have them sprayed or spend $50 and do it yourself.

0 Agrees | 2 Disagrees | Report Abuse »


Jul-14-13 11:20 PM

Actually, we used a weed eater on two lots in our area this week-end, and the weeds were about 5 1/2 feet high. We also raked and hauled them away. The owners should have used a weed killer back in May--and yes it would be cheaper and easier.

1 Agrees | 1 Disagrees | Report Abuse »


Jul-15-13 10:48 AM

locomotive, is that your disagreeable vote? ;-) or hope4 change, I bet it was you? ;-) ;-)

1 Agrees | 2 Disagrees | Report Abuse »


Jul-15-13 5:56 PM

Me, disagree with any posts at all?

Surely you jest.

1 Agrees | 0 Disagrees | Report Abuse »


Jul-15-13 6:57 PM

not meeeee!

1 Agrees | 0 Disagrees | Report Abuse »

Showing 9 of 9 comments

Post a Comment

You must first login before you can comment.

*Your email address:
Remember my email address.


I am looking for:
News, Blogs & Events Web