TIOGA A natural gas pipeline exploded and caught fire south of Tioga around 8:30 p.m. Monday. No injuries were reported.
The gas line is owned by Hiland Partners, LP, of Enid, Okla. The company released a statement that said company officials were on the scene and that the explosion was caused by a "rupture of the line."
The Tioga Fire and Ambulance Department was paged on the incident between 8:30 and 9 p.m. Monday and saw enough of a blaze that they decided to park their fire trucks a half mile away from the scene, which is about eight miles south of Tioga along Williams County Road 21, according to Randall Pederson, a spokesman for the Tioga Fire Department.
He said that firefighters decided to take a defensive approach to the fire instead of spraying water directly onto it. The primary concern, Pederson said, was to prevent too much smoke from entering the atmosphere and also to protect the public by keeping them away from the site.
Firefighters contacted Hiland Partners to turn off the valves to the line. After the valves were shut off the gas burned off and the fire stopped after about an hour and a half.