Each week, The Minot Daily News features a roundup of notable performances, news and results from teams in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference. Here's what happened last week:
- The United States Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association named Minnesota State-Mankato junior Chris Reed its NCAA Division II Athlete of the Week on Monday.
The Omaha, Neb., native finished first in the shot put at University of Minnesota's Northwest Open on Saturday with a heave of 62 feet, 10 inches. The mark was the seventh-best collegiate mark in the nation this season, regardless of division. It is also the seventh-best indoor mark in Division II history.
- University of Mary forward Marc Musungayi was named the NSIC Men's Basketball Player of the Week after carrying the Marauders (4-13 overall, 2-10 NSIC) to their first conference wins of the season.
The 6-foot-6 senior averaged 25 points and 7.5 rebounds in victories over St. Cloud State and Minnesota Duluth. His career-high 33 points against SCSU is the most by a Mary player since Feb. 19, 2011. Musungayi converted all 20 of his free-throw attempts this weekend, including 15 against the Huskies - the most by a Marauder since the school moved to Division II in 2006.
- Concordia-St. Paul junior Terez VanPelt averaged 27 points per game this weekend and surpassed the 1,000-point milestone for his career, becoming the sixth Golden Bear to reach that plateau.
The 6-foot guard tied his career high with 28 points Friday against Wayne State, then added 26 the following night against Augustana.
- C-SP junior forward Anika Whiting was named the NSIC Women's Basketball Player of the Week after averaging 21.5 points, 9.5 rebounds and four assists in the Golden Bears' wins over No. 11 Wayne State and Augustana.
Jordyn Dudley hit a last-second shot to lift the Golden Bears to an 81-79 overtime victory against Augustana.
- The Northern State women's basketball team extended its NSIC-leading winning streak to nine games with wins over Minnesota Crookston and Bemidji State.
Rachel Krogman, a 6-1 junior forward, averaged 21.5 points and 12.5 rebounds in the games - including a career-high 25 points and 13 rebounds against Crookston.
The Wolves (14-2, 10-2) lead the NSIC North by two games over Minot State University (12-4, 8-4).
- C.J. Ham broke Augustana's school record in the weight throw with a toss of 55 feet, 11 inches. He finished second in that event and the shot put (50-04.25).
- The Southwest Minnesota State wrestling program had a big week.
On Tuesday, the Mustangs edged Augustana 15-14 for their first dual victory against the Vikings since the 1998-99 season. Augustana leads the all-time series 24-5.
On Saturday, unranked SMSU went 3-1 at the Midwest Duals in Kearney, Neb., including a 22-20 upset over No. 6 Fort Hays State (Kan.). Senior 133-pounder Justin Reinsma reached 100 career wins and went 4-0 in Kearney.