FARGO (AP) - The father of two children slain on the Spirit Lake Reservation in North Dakota says he did nothing wrong and felt pressured by FBI agents to confess to killing them.
Travis DuBois Sr. is not charged with murder in the May 2011 stabbing deaths of 9-year-old Destiny Shaw-DuBois and her 6-year-old brother, Travis DuBois Jr. However, attorneys for suspect Valentino "Tino" Bagola contend that the elder DuBois - not Bagola - was responsible for the deaths and confessed.
Dubois testified Monday during Bagola's murder trial in Fargo, disavowing his alleged confession and saying he did not kill or hurt the children, The Forum reported.
"I was just going along for no reason," he said of his interviews with FBI agents soon after the slayings. "I don't know why. It's not true."
Authorities allege that Bagola, 20, who is the nephew of the children's mother, stabbed the children dozens of times after sexually assaulting the girl, and that he confessed. They allege that Bagola was angry Dubois Sr. and attacked the children because he couldn't find their father.
Defense attorney Christopher Lancaster on Monday focused on statements DuBois made to an FBI agent that he had become angry with the two children because they were jumping on their bed, that the kids "talked back," and he "lost it."
DuBois, who has acknowledged he was drinking heavily around the time of the children's deaths, said in the interview that he could not recall attacking his children, but remembered that he "snapped out of it."
"I did it," DuBois told the agent. "No one else did it." DuBois went on to tell the agent that he had been a good father until that point and said, "Sorry. Please forgive me."
DuBois testified Monday that authorities "put words in my mouth," and he felt pressured to confess despite his innocence.