Area man dies in crash fleeing another vehicle
A 34-year-old Ward County man died while driving at high speeds attempting to elude a vehicle he had hit late Wednesday night.
The man's vehicle was spotted on 11th Avenue Southeast, where officers followed until his vehicle left the road and travelled through the air before crashing into the far side of a ravine in the 1000 block of Sunrise Court, according to Minot police.
The name of the driver and other details were not immediately released by authorities pending notification of next of kin.
Taylor appointed as McHenry County commish
TOWNER Ryan Taylor may have lost his run for governor and given up a state Senate seat, but he still will have a constituency to represent starting Dec. 3.
The McHenry County Commission appointed Taylor Friday to join its body following a selection process involving the commission and a Northeast District judge. There were five candidates. Taylor will fill the vacancy created with the departure of Vern Kongslie of Towner, who resigned at the end of October to devote more time to personal interests.
"This has always been something that's interested me, and I think all these jobs are important," Taylor said. He said his background in state government also is an asset that he can bring to the county.
"It seemed like a natural fit, in a way, to use some of the skills that I have developed over the years," he said. "There's a lot that's much the same communicating with your constituents and trying to help solve problems."
Taylor, a rancher and writer from Towner, served in the state Senate since 2003 and was the Democrats' Senate Minority Leader in the 2011 session. He declined to run for re-election this year to instead challenge Republican Gov. Jack Dalrymple. He received 34 percent of the vote in the election that went to his opponent.
Smoke scare at Trinity Hospital St. Josephs
The Minot Fire Department received a call of smoke on the fifth floor of Trinity Hospital St. Josephs, 407-3rd. St. SE, shortly before 3 p.m. Thursday.
The smoke was actually coming from a laundry chute and firefighters on the scene tracked it to smoldering rags in a laundry basket that were used to clean grills in the kitchen.
A fire department spokesman said that it may have turned into a full fire had it not been caught early.