ROLLA - A rural home was destroyed in a fire near Rolla early Saturday morning.
According to Brad Ebensteiner, fire chief of the Rolla Fire Department, a passerby called in the fire around 1:50 a.m. The house, owned by Ross and Bonnie Good, was approximately six miles northeast of Rolla.
The family was on a camping trip at the time and not home when the fire started. Although there were no injuries to anyone, Ebensteiner said the family cat perished in the fire. He said the home, which was only about 15 years old, was probably a total loss, but several other structures in the area were protected from the fire.
Firefighters were also able to save some family possessions such as pictures and computers, which Ebensteiner said the family was incredibly grateful for.
"We did save a few things for them," Ebensteiner said.
No cause for the fire has yet been determined, but Ebensteiner did say it started on the exterior of the home and went up the siding into the attic. The fire is currently under investigation in cooperation with the fire marshal's office.