Clayann Almquist, Minot
These are true facts about Measure 2.
1. Do you know property tax means you never own your home, even after your mortgage is paid off? A "yes" vote will give us security in our homes and we will never have to rent our homes from the government again.
2. Do you know in Minot alone in 2011 there were 12 homes and 13 businesses lost because of non-payment of taxes? Many people choose to sell their homes before they are confiscated.
3. Do you know North Dakota has a $5 billion surplus, which is growing by $2 billion per year? With that sort of surplus, we can eliminate property tax without raising any other tax.
4. Do you know with a "yes" vote, our counties, townships and schools will have local control over how money is spent? As is now, control comes from the state government.
5. Do you know statewide agricultural land valuation has increased an average of more than 32 percent in the last year? Unless mills are reduced, agricultural property taxes will sky rocket. County commissioners are not likely to reduce the mills to keep your property taxes the same.
6. Do you know a "yes" vote will let North Dakota people keep $800 million a year of their own money? That money will go right back into the North Dakota economy.
Our legislators know they don't have to raise taxes. They know they can make it work without any other changes.
Know the facts on Measure 2. Vote "yes."