Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Contact Us | Routes Available | All Access E-Edition | Home RSS
 
 
 

Western N.D. is a safe place

June 30, 2013

Rita McNeil, Williston Western North Dakota is a safe place to live. I am a resident of an RV park north of Williston and I am as comfortable here as I was in Minnesota....

« Back to Article

 
 
sort: oldest | newest

Comments

(6)

icart68

Jun-30-13 8:10 AM

Really??? 1. "The AFL-CIO released its annual “Death on the Job Report,” ranking North Dakota in last place for worker safety, with a worker fatality rate in 2011 of 12.4 per 100,000 workers. The national rate is 3.5 fatalities per 100,000 workers. There were 44 fatalities in North Dakota in 2011." 2. "Oil country being short-changed. From Colorado (63 percent), to Montana (39 percent), to Wyoming (35 percent), the numbers just don’t add up for North Dakota which, in 2012, returned a pitiful 11 percent to locally impacted areas while the other 89 percent went to the state. But North Dakota isn’t totally and inherently unequal. For the coal tax, it returns 35 percent locally" 3. "North Dakota has seen an influx of mostly male workers, which has altered many local women's sense of security."

1 Agrees | 4 Disagrees | Report Abuse »

icart68

Jun-30-13 8:17 AM

4. "Elevated levels of methane and other stray gases have been found in drinking water near natural gas wells in Pennsylvania's gas-rich Marcellus shale region, according to new research. In the case of methane, concentrations were six times higher in some drinking water found within one kilometer of drilling operations."

I could go on....BUT, are we "REALLY" safe...I live in Stanley, I don't know of ANYONE...ANYWHERE who doesn't lock their doors at ANY TIME during the day or night, since this oil boom has started!!!

Maybe Rita would feel different if actually met the woman who was raped here. Her attacker cut her electrical and phone lines on her house, broke in, then beat and raped her...REAL FRIGGIN SAFE NOW..HUH????

1 Agrees | 4 Disagrees | Report Abuse »

icart68

Jun-30-13 8:23 AM

Oh Wait....Forgot this one too!! 5. "Arnold disappeared on her morning run on January 7, 2012. Over the next two months her family, friends and the entire community searched for clues that would help bring Sherry home. At the end of March, investigators found the body of Sherry Arnold just across the border in North Dakota."

1 Agrees | 4 Disagrees | Report Abuse »

icart68

Jun-30-13 8:29 AM

Oh..Why not one more!! 6. "ND Highway Patrol: Fiery crash involving tanker loaded with crude oil kills 3. The tanker trailer exploded and five other vehicles involved in the accident burned for about five hours at the crash site on U.S. Highway 2 three miles east of Stanley"

1 Agrees | 4 Disagrees | Report Abuse »

SayWhat

Jun-30-13 8:57 AM

Rita, I agree. I have several relatives and friends who live in Williston and they all agree with you. They do not experience the much fabricated crime that the media tends to report. I actually just read a story from a young lady from the St. Paul Pioneer Press who came out to Williston to check it out herself. She of course said she was harassed and felt unsafe as soon as she stepped into the Williston WalMart. She said she was getting texts and phone calls from guys she had met on her venture. Uhmmmmm why did she give out her cell phone number to total strangers? So she could get a good story about the evil and dangerous Williston and the evil men who lurk there. Good Grief!

4 Agrees | 2 Disagrees | Report Abuse »

locomotive

Jun-30-13 8:20 PM

SayWhat, about that reporter - sensational stories sell.

I remember all too well the national news stories on how many jobs were available here in the Bakken and how much money people could make (mechanics, fast food workers, etc). Not much coverage then on the lack of housing, harsh winters, the sense of safety or the lack thereof, that NoDaks & newcomers had been experiencing at the time. Many of us were shaking our heads at each new RockCenter episode.

North Dakota is too "foreign" to some people. It's like we're still the Wild West and not members of 21st century USA.

Fine. That perspective will keep some of the riff raff out.

2 Agrees | 1 Disagrees | Report Abuse »

Showing 6 of 6 comments
 
 

Post a Comment

You must first login before you can comment.

*Your email address:
*Password:
Remember my email address.
or
 
 
 

 

I am looking for:
in:
News, Blogs & Events Web