Obnoxious foodies in The New York Times

November 14, 2013 - Andrea Johnson
I guess the rich really are different.

The New York Times has a gratingly pretentious story this week about a wealthy couple who are dissatisfied that their nanny from Wisconsin doesn't know the difference between quinoa and couscous. Since this is a problem that a mere cookbook can't solve, the couple have employed a nanny consulting business called marc&mark that promises to "teach nannies how to cook for YOUR kids." The story can be found at www.nytimes.com/2013/11/14/fashion/chef-run-service-teaches-nannies-recipes-that-skip-the-microwave.html?smid=tw-nytstyles&seid=auto&—r=3&.

To the tune of $2,500, the business owners, Marc Leandro and Mark Boquist, will teach the nanny how to select a ripe avocado or peach at Whole Foods and spend an entire day overseeing her efforts to cook fresh, organic meals using chickpeas or quinoa. They also create a handcrafted cookbook of recipes for the nanny to use. The little girl in this particular family will now have to give up her favorite roast chicken in favor of dining on "black rice and edamame, cinnamon ice cream with toasted almonds, and Tunisian couscous with braised carrots." The wealthy parents want their 5-year-old to develop a "more refined and global palate."

I like my couscous and chickpeas as well as the next vegetarian, but I think it's long past time for the foodies to disappear into the sunset. These people should have used that $2,500 to give their nanny a raise for having to put up with them.

Nov-15-13 10:22 AM

I agree that "this is New York." I liked Matt's comment about not fading into the noise. *grin*

When my eldest was a baby, I occasionally utilized the babysitting services of a lady who took care of two small children full-time. One full-timer's mother was unbelievable in her requirements for her child: strict naptimes and mealtimes, rules for behavior of her child and others who interacted with her child, etc. I don't know if diet was part of this, but it very well could have been. It wouldn't have been a surprise.

My suggestion to parents who want to do the best for their children? DO IT YOURSELF. We've done it, at much less the cost, and we've had no regrets.

When you are the nanny and parent rolled into one, the consultations are short and to the point. Much less disappointment too.

:-)

Nov-15-13 9:25 AM

I must watch too many television shows set in New York. They show everyone living in those...or else one of those "Brownstone" rowhouses.

Nov-14-13 5:41 PM

I have my doubts that a reporter even in New York has a high rise -- at least not one she doesn't share with several roommates.

Nov-14-13 5:20 PM

That reporter is probably so broken up about writing it that they are right now on the wrong end of a rope in the bedroom closet of their high rise Mahattan apartment. When they haven't shown up to work for several days, we'll be hearing news reports about how a "welfare check" call to the NYPD resulted in a grisly discovery.

Nov-14-13 4:49 PM

Likely so. The article itself is a puff piece, referring to the neighborhood where the parents live, their important positions and how important the people from the nanny consulting agency are, based on the prominence of their previous employers. If I were the reporter, I would be embarrassed to have written this piece.

Nov-14-13 4:02 PM

"It seems to be a way for them to prove how important they are, which is usually a sign that they are not."

Well, it's New York. If you're not shouting at the top of your lungs in the most outrageous manner possible, you fade into the noise.

Nov-14-13 3:04 PM

I like couscous better than quinoa, but I buy the kind that comes in a box. I like the mushroom flavor. My cousin is the one who can whip up a meal from scratch. Nothing wrong with liking to cook, but these people are unbelievably pretentious. It seems to be a way for them to prove how important they are, which is usually a sign that they are not.

Nov-14-13 1:58 PM

Sadly, I actually know the difference between quinoa and couscous...and I don't particularly care for either one. Had I not gotten married, I'd have been as much in the dark about them as this poor gal from Wisconsin. Maybe she should rethink her professional decisions and return to real America.