Tallman sentenced for aggravated assault, terrorizing

A 31-year-old Minot man was sentenced to five years in prison, with a two year minimum mandatory sentence, for assaulting and terrorizing his wife last year.

Jeremiah Albert Tallman pleaded guilty to terrorizing and aggravated assault-domestic violence in district court in Minot on Monday for the Sept. 8, 2016 assault. A charge of felonious restraint was dismissed.

Tallman also pleaded guilty to Class C felony terrorizing, a Class A misdemeanor protection order violation charge and a Class B misdemeanor possession of drug paraphernalia charge in a second case, dating back to Nov. 1, 2016. He also pleaded guilty to violating a protection order on June 24, a Class C felony.

He received concurrent or suspended sentences on the other charges. He will serve about five years of probation consecutive to the jail sentence.

The sentence recommended by the state was given incorrectly in a story that ran last week in The Minot Daily News.

“I’d like to take this time to apologize to my wife,” Tallman said in court on Monday.

Judge Richard Hagar has forbidden Tallman from having any contact with his wife during his jail sentence or while he is on probation.

A proposed plea deal in the case fell through last week before Judge Gary Lee because Tallman’s wife had also wanted the protection order to include their biological daughter. No mention was made of including the child on the no contact order. Tallman’s lawyer, Kyle Craig, had said in court last week that Tallman’s wife can take action in civil court to limit Tallman’s contact with the girl.

Tallman broke his wife’s collarbone and threatened her with a knife he heated over the stove in September 2016. He allegedly made his wife clean up blood and broken glass before he drove her to the hospital to have her injuries treated. He had accused the woman of cheating on him and he used threatening language during the incident. His wife’s two older children, who were ages 6 and 4 at the time, and their baby daughter were all present in the apartment, according to statements in court.

Tallman also violated no contact orders preventing him from contacting his wife. Last November, he called his wife and told her he was bringing a gun to their residence and would kill everyone if police showed up. Police didn’t find a gun on him when they arrested Tallman.

Tallman had been set to go to trial this week on the felonies.

The state also revoked Tallman’s probation on earlier charges. The sentence in that case was folded into the sentence for the aggravated assault charge and will be served concurrently.