Deadly NYC fire lit by child playing with stove
NEW YORK (AP) — New York City’s deadliest residential fire in decades was accidentally lit by a 3 ½-year-old boy playing with the burners on his mother’s stove, officials said Friday.
The flames spread quickly through the kitchen, then roared through a door the boy’s mother had left open as she fled her first floor apartment with her two children, Fire Commissioner Daniel Nigro said. A stairwell acted like a chimney, carrying the flames through the entire building within minutes and blocking the main escape route.
Twelve people died, including girls ages 1, 2 and 7 and a boy whose age was not given.