CRP enrollment open

For the first time since last fall, the U.S. Department of Agriculture is accepting applications for the voluntary Conservation Reserve Program. Eligible farmers, ranchers, and private landowners can sign up at their local USDA Farm Service Agency office between June 4 and Aug. 17, 2018.

For this year’s signup, limited priority practices are available for continuous enrollment. They include grassed waterways, filter strips, riparian buffers, wetland restoration and others.

Approximately 30,000 acres are available in these various practices in North Dakota.

In addition to the continuous CRP enrollment, producers in portions of Adams, Billings, Bowman, Burleigh, Dunn, Emmons, Grant, Golden Valley, Hettinger, McKenzie, Mercer, Morton, Oliver, Sioux, Slope and Stark counties have an opportunity to enroll eligible cropland along riparian areas into the Conservation Reserve Enhancement Program. Producers enrolling land into CREP will receive annual rental payments with incentives and cost share from FSA. Game and Fish can work with producers on other lands not eligible for CREP.

Approximately 20,000 acres are allocated for CREP

Kevin Kading, state Game and Fish Department private land section leader, said landowners interested in either of these programs could also qualify for additional financial incentives and cost-share from Game and Fish.

“These practices in the right spots can improve the bottom line for a landowner,” Kading said. “Anyone who’s interested in seeing how Game and Fish can help add to that, can contact a private land biologist in their area.”

Devils Lake – Andrew Ahrens – 204-5227 (Bottineau, Cavalier, Grand Forks, Nelson, Pembina, Ramsey, Rolette, Towner, Walsh)

Harvey – Terry Oswald, Jr., – 399-9958 (Benson, Eddy, Foster, Pierce, Sheridan, Wells)

Riverdale – Ryan Huber – 527-8963 (McHenry, McLean, Mercer, Renville, Ward)

Williston – Todd Buckley – 770-3815 (Burke, Divide, McKenzie, Mountrail, Williams)